Thursday, March 23, 2006

Did I mention I went vegan for Lent? I picked up all three of Sarah Kramer's books at Overstock.com. Very reasonable. While I was shopping I picked up a pair of Vegan Earth Shoes too. So comfy.

Well - GOD BLESS SARAH!!

Her recipes are super easy. Minimal in the ingredient department. So many raw food dishes have 20 plus ingredients. I end up leaving half of them out.

Veggie meats are great for a single person. You can slice off or portion out a single serving. Last night I made stroganoff with seitan which is a wheat meat. I hadn't intended to make stroganoff. It just ended up that way.

I had a little seitan left. I thought I'd have it with mushroom and spinach. I put a little olive oil and garlic in a pan. Toasted up the garlic, then added the mushrooms and seitan. I had some "cheese" sauce (not cheese at all but a sauce made from nutritional yeast) that I'd made over the weekend. Ooo, I thought, cream sauce! So I heaped a bunch in. It smelled wonderful so I decided tomato needed to be added. The sauce stuck a little so I added some water. I added a little marinated sun dried tomato and tomato paste.

It took less than 10 minutes and was DELICIOUS! I served it over a single slice of hemp bread.

For those of you looking to lose weight, seitan is a fantastic option! Compare a 3.5 ounce serving of Seitan to Steak: Seitan, 31.5 grams of protein, 157 calories. Steak, 27 grams of protein, 275 calories.

No comments: