Friday, June 23, 2006


Sometimes the smallest thing can really make your year. Sometimes it's good to listen to that little voice in your head. Mine pays off regularly. Last night I was kicking back. Ready to put my jammies on and call it a night. But that voice said - Get up. Go to the store. Now.

I have a friend at work. He wears a Miraculous Medal. The day he started here, he saw my medal and knew I was someone he could count on for prayers. We talk about God and the beauty of prayer every time we bump into each other.

A few days ago he had a line on an apartment. He asked me to pray for him. So I did. Yesterday he told me he got the place. I knew he was starting fresh, so I asked him what he needed and explained that I seemed to be really good at rounding up free furnishings.

"Oh gosh," he said, shuffing his feet. "I need everything."

So last night, at the behest of that voice in my head, I went to Cost Plus. I got lucky. They were having a great sale. I picked up two place settings, some cooking utensils, kitchen towels and a pot scrubber.

I asked the other folks in my office if they'd like to make it from all of us. Since we enjoy this fellow so much. They agreed.

We made this little presentation. He was all undone. Had to go outside to try to breathe. A little while later he came by and told me all his life people have treated him like an animal. Then God turned his life around. No one had ever done such a thing for him. He is still struggling with how to handle it.

It's so easy to see why God loves those who are poor in spirit.

No comments: